Genealogie Bos

This is my English-language Genealogy & Ancestry Blog.
(Mijn Nederlandstalige blog is genealogiebos.blogspot.nl).

26 Oct 2019

Surname Saturday - Schoonderwoerd

Schoonderwoerd is a toponym, a surname derived from a place name. Schoondrewoerd is a village located in the middle of The Netherlands in an area known as Vijfheerenlanden (literally “land with 5 lords”). Among the 5 lords that the area derives its name from are the medieval Lords of Arkel that are likely my ancestors, too. Schoondrewoerd ceased to be an autonomous village in 1986, when it became part of Leerdam.

One of my ancestors is 16th-century Wouter Maesz. One of his grandsons is Wouter Maesz. Schoonderwoert who originated in Woudrichem and later moved to Hoornaar. Wouter had 2 wives: Vijverke Gijsberts (±1625-1659) and Adriaentge Willems. Wouter II and his first wive had a grandson named Wouter Maaez Schoonderwoert, too. This Wouter III married his half-cousin Neeltien Willems Schoonderwoert, a granddaughter of Wouter II and his second wife. Wouter III and his half-cousin had 7 children.

Wouter Maesz Schoonderwoert (II)
x Vijverke Gijsberts    - Maes     - Wouter x    - 7 children
x Adriaentge Willems    - Willem   - Neeltien      incl. Maes

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found your blog. I have a van woert in my tree (on Ancestry) along with a van noort. My van noort or van oort ancestor is from Beesd which I know is not far from this area in the Netherlands. SO I thinking there MAY be a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Topher. I don't think a Van Woert family is related to the Schoonderwoerd family. I do have Van Noord ancestors, too, but they are from the area just south of Rotterdam.

      Delete

I'd like to read your comments and/or additions to my articles!
Due to spamming issues, all submitted comments are moderated.